Sunday 16 December 2012

Who Gives A Fuck?

OK.
So I went to the pool today with a couple friends. I had my bag packed with all the essentials; towel, sunscreen, suit and of course, my board shorts to cover my thighs. The thing is though, I don't just think that they're a little big and cover them so that the hot lifeguard doesn't have to be subjected to that sight and then think less of me. I have these scars from this skin condition, in addition to some stretch marks.
But when I walked up to the pools edge, I had an epiphany. I realized that no one really cared. The stretch marks are barely visible and they are something that so many people go through. My scars are pretty much concealed below my suit and I shouldn't be ashamed of them anyway. Lots of people have embarrassing conditions much worse then a few scars here and there. I shouldn't be worried about something so insignificant and superficial. So I shed those constricting shorts and stood there, loud and proud in my conservative, slimming, black, one-piece bathing suit only (one step at a time), for the first time in many years, and felt so ... free.
I jumped in that pool and swam around without wondering what people were thinking or dashing away from the kid with the goggles. I just enjoyed myself and it was wonderful. I even caught the hot lifeguard checking me out. Either that or he was concerned that I would drown (I tend to look a little spazzy when I swim).
In the end, I figured out something life-changing. I was always worried that I would be judged for my scars and marks, when in fact, no one gives a fuck. Really. They don't. And if they do judge, they are really not worth my time. Seriously.
Next week, I'm even going to look for a bikini to buy. Because I am hot. I am worth it. I deserve people in my life who accept me. I don't need to hide under silly little shorts. I'm just going to be me because that's all I can be. And she's pretty great.
It Doesn't Even Need To Be Better

No comments:

Post a Comment